Since I started using max I’ve always found procedural maps to be powerful but frustrating to edit. This is mostly due to the way the material sample is related to the actual scene scale, something that I thought was set in stone. However I’ve discovered a fix and a magic number that makes the preview in the material editor much more meaningful.
Note: You’ll need to switch over briefly to the compact material editor as the option doesn’t seem to be available in slate.
In the material editor choose options -> options and then set the Render Sample size to 25 units (or 25cm generic scene units if that’s the way your units display is setup like mine).
I’m a highly experienced freelance CG & VFX Artist. In the Commercials world I’ve led many award winning projects; both as an onset VFX Supervisor and as a CG Supervisor. I’m now branching out into Film VFX and am currently at Double Negative as a 3D Generalist. read more